Mosaic Company news release
In its first decade, The Mosaic Company (NYSE: MOS) and its 8,900 global employees have helped the world grow the food it needs-by mining, manufacturing and delivering nearly 150 million finished phosphate and potash product tonnes to customers and farmers in approximately 40 countries. Throughout October, Mosaic is celebrating its important work, as well as the company’s commitment to social responsibility, with local facility events and one-time gifts of $10,000 to nonprofit organizations designated by each Mosaic location.
“From our beginning, we have been driven to build a world-class company; one that has a noble mission and deeply ingrained values. I am proud to say we’ve made that vision a reality,” said Jim Prokopanko, President and Chief Executive Officer of The Mosaic Company. “Each individual who works for us, and with us, has played an important role in our success. As we reflect on a decade of outstanding achievements, we are more energized than ever before to continue building in the years to come.”
Mosaic was formed through the combination of Cargill’s crop nutrition unit and IMC Global. The company’s first day of trading on the New York Stock Exchange was October 25, 2004. In the decade since, Mosaic has delivered a track record of success, due primarily to exceptional teamwork, innovation, and an unrelenting commitment to operating safely and responsibly.
View this short Mosaic anniversary video, “Celebrating 10 Years,” and learn more about the company’s achievements, culture and growth in the “10 Years of Helping the World Grow the Food it Needs” infographic.
Mosaic’s Highlights from a Decade of Achievement
• Tripled its share price and completed $3.6 billion in share repurchases
• More than doubled revenue, and increased earnings from $166 million in fiscal 2005 to $1.9 billion in fiscal 2013
• Became the largest phosphate producer in the world with 71 percent of North American and 15 percent of global concentrated phosphate crop nutrient production
• Increased potash production capacity by 15 percent (includes reversion of the tolling tonnes), and invested $3 billion in expansions since 2008
• Expanded its global operations through growth projects in Brazil, the acquisition of CF Industries’ phosphate operations, and joint ventures with Miski Mayo in Peru, and Ma’aden in Saudi Arabia
• Pioneered the development of premium fertilizers, including Aspire®, K-Mag®, Pegasus® and MicroEssentials®-the most advanced dry crop nutrition product on the market today, with an average corn yield increase of 7.2 bushels per acre compared to traditional fertilizer
• Released five company Sustainability Reports – Global Reporting Initiative 3.1, and participated in five years of CDP (Carbon Disclosure Project) disclosure
• Named a Corporate Responsibility Magazine “100 Best Corporate Citizens” for five consecutive years
Supporting Neighbors through Community Investment
To reinforce Mosaic’s long-held commitment to being a good neighbor, facilities in the United States, Canada, Brazil, India and China will present a one-time gift of $10,000 to select nonprofits. The funds will be donated between October 1 and November 15, 2014.
“We are keeping our promise to support the communities where we live and work by investing in food, water and local organizations,” said Mark Kaplan, Senior Vice President of Public Affairs at The Mosaic Company. “To us, being a good neighbor means listening and taking action to lend a hand where it’s needed. We all have a stake in helping our communities thrive.”
Mosaic aims to invest 1 percent of earnings into its operating communities. Last year, The Mosaic Company, The Mosaic Company Foundation and The Mosaic Institute in Brazil together invested $27 million in food, water and local communities, including the United Way.
Connect with The Mosaic Company on social media to see photos from local celebration events and learn about which non-profits organizations are selected to receive the one-time $10,000 gifts.